- Fyle integration for Slack.
- The Fyle app can be installed in the Slack workspace for any organization that uses Slack. The app can be installed only by the admin of the workspace.
- Fyle for Slack can be used to Fyle expenses directly from the Slack Workspace.
- Expenses can be Fyled either by calling a Slash command (/fyle) or by making an App mention (@fyle).
- Expenses Fyled from the Slack workspace behaves the same way as expenses Fyled from other sources. These expenses can be tracked on the Web app or Mobile app, added to a report, or deleted, etc.
- The expense form for Fyling from Slack captures the following details - Currency, Amount, Purpose, Merchant, Date of Spend, Category, Project and whether the expense is Reimbursable or not.
- Currently, these fields must be filled manually. And, attaching a receipt is not supported.
- Fyle for Slack can be conveniently used by users who are already familiar with the Slack workspace environment. Fyling then becomes as simple as calling a Slash Command or making an App mention.
- Mainly, small expenses such as Chai bills that may not require receipts to be attached can easily be Fyled from Slack without having to switch apps.
Why did we build it?
- Slack is the most popular collaboration platform used in workspaces.
- Some interesting stats about Slack that motivated us to build this integration:
- 10 million daily active users from almost 600,000 organizations
- Present in around 150 countries
- More than 1,500 apps in the Slack App directory
- Highest usage in the USA (San Francisco)
- Building an integration for an app that is already so popular can make us visible to more number of users from its huge user base.
- Expense management using Fyle can be brought even closer to the workspace environment via Slack.
- Secondary features of Slack such as automatic reminders and other bots can be exploited to integrate Fyle with Slack in an impactful way.
- Currently, Fyle for Slack is ready to capture and Fyle expenses. The functionalities for approvers to approve from within Slack is under development.
How to install it?
Fyle for Slack can be installed in two ways:
- From the Fyle website. Go to this link to learn more
- From the Slack App directory. Go to this link and click on Add to Slack button. Then, allow Fyle to access the Slack workspace by clicking on Allow.
- Allow the app to access your Fyle account as well. Click on Allow.
- Once the required permissions are allowed, the Fyle app for Slack will be added in your Slack workspace. Adding the app to the workspace can only be done by the Admin of the workspace.
How to use it?
Fyle for Slack can be used to create and Fyle expenses in two ways:
App mention - (@Fyle)
- The mention will work only if the app is in the channel or if you’re interacting in the Fyle App channel which can be found under Apps in the navigation bar of Slack.
- Click on Know more to know more about the app.
- If you’re ready to Fyle an expense, click on Add to Fyle in the reply you receive after making the App mention. Fill the expense form that opens up..
- Once you submit the expense, you will get an initial response that the request is received and is being processed.
- Once the request is processed, you will get the final response regarding the status of the request.
- Once the expense has been created, it can be tracked like any other expense from the Web app or the Mobile app.
Slash command - (/fyle)
The second way to use the integration is via the /fyle command.
- Slash commands can be invoked from any channel or any private conversation in the Slack workspace. It need not necessarily be from the Fyle app channel.
- Invoking the /fyle command followed by hitting enter twice, directly opens up the expense form. The expense form is filled and submitted the same way as you do when you make the app mention.
- To check the installation status of Fyle app, as in, to which org it is installed or who installed the app etc, call the slash command /fyle status
These limitations are likely to be removed in the near future. Send us a note to the email below to know more.
- Currently, receipts cannot be attached for the expenses created via Slack.
- Fyle for Slack is currently only supported in the Indian datacenter of Fyle.
Contact and Support
For any issue or further queries, please contact [email protected].